What Are Public Performance Rights (PPR)


What are Public Performance Rights and why should I care?

Normal viewing of a DVD in the home does not require Public Performance Rights (PPR), and most purchases fit into the “Home Use” category. However, showing a film to a group may require obtaining PPR. It is up to you to determine what you need to do to comply with copyright law. Read below to determine if you need PPR.

Defining Public Performance Rights

* A public performance is a non-theatrical performance of a program, without charge, outside the home to a gathering of people other than family members and/or acquaintances. These gatherings are found in locations such as schools, libraries, religious and civic institutions. Public Performance Rights include closed-circuit transmission within a single building or on a single, geographical unified campus.

* Purchase does not include nor imply the right to duplicate, recast, edit, abridge or transform the video by analog or digital means or any other fashion whatsoever without the express written consent of Panorama Studios.

* Purchase does not include nor imply the right to transmit videos by analog or digital means by broadcast, open-cable, direct broadcast satellite, internet or other means nor to any off-campus or distant learning site without the express written consent of Panorama Studios.

* Videos may be used in libraries to be checked out and viewed at no charge by students and faculty only.

Public Performance Rights Upgrade

To upgrade a previously purchased DVD to have Public Performance rights, please call our Customer Service Department to discuss the upgrade. The upgrade cost is $60.00. Call 1-888-744-9381.

Do I Need To Obtain Public Performance Rights?

• if the screening is open to the public, such as showing to the community for cultural enrichment• if the screening is in a public space where access is not restricted, such as an instructor showing a film to a class for curriculum-related purposes in a public or unrestricted-access location

• if persons attending are outside the normal circle of family and acquaintances, such as showing a film to a club or organization, or showing a film for class but inviting others to attend

• if privately viewing the film in your room with friends• if an instructor is showing the film to officially registered students in a classroom, where content of film directly relates to course

Schools or libraries should consider obtaining PPR licensing when they want to show videorecordings in any situation outside of the definition of “home-use-only.” For example, a public library would need public performance rights to show a videorecording to staff in an in-service workshop, to children during story hour, or to a community group meeting. A school would need public performance rights for a videorecording to be shown for entertainment in place of recess on a rainy day, or for after-school programs, or as a reward.